Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sonnet: You have forgotten

[Note to readers: While I do not know if I am capable of writing great sonnets, I do know that I am capable of writing bad sonnets. Here is an example, addressed, again, to my imaginary Immortal Beloved.]

You have forgotten all that I have said:
My aphorism or my punning joke
That always seem to go over your head
Despite all the repetitions I took.
You have forgotten all that I have written:
My serious sonnet blossom'd just for you!
(And the mock reply - my hand in your mitten,
Adding, of course, my little response too!)
You have forgotten all that I have done:
The places I have suggested to see
And faces you would not have met alone.
(Although at times you'd have to pay for me!)
You have forgotten my existence now;
And I, in turn, have forgotten to rhyme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home